Saturday, July 14, 2007

add it up

I just received another bill related to my cancer treatment. It is the ninth since my surgery. I'm lucky to have health insurance. I'd say I have good health coverage, but since this is really the first time I'm cognizant to my coverage and insurance costs, I have nothing to notably compare it to. it's worth noting the coverage plan is the cheapest under Gannett, the media company that brought you USA Today (though they're not my boss, there's a JOA here in Tucson -- but that's another conversation)
so, by my own count, I've personally paid about $725 for my cancer care since May 10th -- that includes visits to surgeons, surgery, my oncologist, weekly blood tests, and my CT scan.
lets look closely so we all have an understanding how expensive cancer treatment is:
Appointment with my surgeon: total cost - I'm not sure, but I paid $50. I've seen two surgeons and paid for both visits.
Orchiectomy (outpatient surgery, mind you, and the last time righty and lefty were together): total cost - $1,097. I paid $46.91
Cost of hospital stay: total cost - I don't know, but I paid $400.
Anesthesia for surgery: Total cost - $715. I paid $71.50
Every visit to my oncologist: Total cost - $335. I pay $50 each time. I've seen Dr. Ahmann three times -- I think.
CT scan of my pelvis: total cost - $813. I paid $25.
Weekly blood test: total cost - $53. I don't pay for these. However, I've had my blood drawn eight times since surgery and will continue to have blood drawn until we decide on the next step of treatment. by my math, that's $424.
a statement from my insurance company dated May 18, 2007, and likely non-reflective of any cancer treatment costs, shows my health care provider had spent a total of $821.47 on me. That's alot, but then again i had pneumonia this winter and some weird skin infection on my right ring finger that no one has been able to figure out.
My most recent statement from Health Net, my health care provider, shows a bill of $6,297.50.
That's a lot.
I brought this up because a friend of my wrote about a local charity in Tucson that pays for terminal cancer patients to get their one last wish -- family reunions, a trip to Disneyland and in one case, a recliner. It was prompted by a family that recognized the cost to treat one of their own members and worried how other people with less money were getting by. check out the story. I've included a link to the story and the foundation.

"A Legacy of Kindness Endures" by Mariana Alvarado Avalos
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/191389.php

en espanol
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/190297.php

Fuente de Suenos Chiquita
http://www.chiquitafoundation.com/

1 comment:

Paul Contreras said...

When i got my first statement...it topped out at 15 or 16 thousand. They kept coming in like that. until the final one came...roughly 38k