Saturday, September 1, 2007

Note to self: You're in chemo

not like I've forgotten I was in chemo., but there were a few things this week that were sharp reminders.
I've been trying to stay physically active throughout the treatment -- mostly via evening walks throughout the neighborhood. I can't risk going to the pool, given all the crap that's usually hanging around the locker room and in the pool water. I had the strength to go out for a bicycle ride last night. i rode around the neighborhood and then up to the university. I stopped to listen to the marching band that was practicing for today's game. while I watching the band march back and forth in formation, the president of TUSD's governing board, Joel Ireland, walked by. I said hello and he replied the same. but he clearly didn't recognized me. eventually I had to say 'It's me, George Sanchez,' which was followed by a stunned look of surprise on his face. I can understand the reaction; after all, last time he saw me I was in slacks, a button shirt, tie and my hair was in a pompadour. not the case last night. we spoke for a bit and before he left he said I looked well.
but it was a bit awkward.
Every chemo. patient is warned to stay away from people that are sick because your immune system is compromised. my friend Adrian was hospitalized with strep throat when he was in chemo., so I'm taking this order to avoid the sick very seriously.
but that meant I had to stay away from some friends this week.
I guess it all comes with the chemo. order, but it's nonetheless an odd feeling when you actually experience it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want not acquiesce in on it. I over precise post. Expressly the title attracted me to read the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Correctly your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats high to you enter, wish look progressive for the duration of more related articles without delay as its sole of my choice topic to read.