Thursday, October 11, 2007

My folks

My Mom and Dad left Tucson this morning.
they left at 4 a.m. -- typical Sanchez style -- to beat the heat and traffic...it was bittersweet though. their departure really marked the end of chemotherapy. They've been in Tucson for the past six weeks, staying at a friends place, and tending to my every need. they cooked, cleaned, stayed up all night with me that first weekend when my body had a bad reaction to the drugs, and laughed with/at me.
As strange as this may sound, my cancer gave me time with my parents that I otherwise wouldn't have had. i left home after high school for college in San Francisco; eight hours and a few hundred miles away. This was the longest single stretch of time we were able to spend together since I was 18 years old. and until I return to LA, we won't have time like that again.
Along with laying around doing nothing, watching "Anchor Man" and getting mad at the talking heads on the cable news circuit, there was also alot of time for walks and questions about our extended family, collective history and my parents' relationship over the years.
it was good for all three of us, I think.
My parents are tough. And watching me go through chemo. wasn't easy for them. I remember how hard it was for my dad to sit with me those first couple days and look at his glassy eyed son connected to the IVs and constantly beeping machines. My mom, like any mom, said she'd trade places and be in my chemo. recliner if she could.
I think in some ways it was harder on them, and the other members of my family, because they felt helpless as witnesses to something no one ever wants to observe.
but they dealt well with the situation. of course my mom made friends with all the nurses and other patients. and my dad goofed around, flirting with the staff and generally taking advantage of all the free chocolate the clinic had to offer.
if anyone wants to know how I came out of chemo. the way I did, it was because of them. their love, laughter and support did more for my spirit and strength than anything else. I can't even imagine what it would've been like to walk into the clinic everyday without them by my side.
simple enough.

PS
i played my new jarana today for the first time in probably two months. i am rusty, my fingers and wrist sore, but it felt great! Thanks Francisco!

4 comments:

....J.Michael Robertson said...

What a beautiful post.

Clarissa Aljentera said...

Dang, that post was real sweet. Dude, go kick some Tucson-ass!
Congrats on your journey.
sport that crew cut like a sexy military man.

Unknown said...

Hi George. Thinking of you like crazy and keeping you in my heart. I thought this post was incredibly insightful. Good job. Hope to talk to you soon.

Rach.RN said...

Hi George. Can you believe it...it's your old USF-er pal, Rach! You are truly an amazing strong person, and i wish you all the health in the world to get better! It would be lovely to catch up..to this day, every time i listen to Social D. or my swing albums, i think of you. Find me on myspace as Rach.RN or email me at rachiestes@hotmail.com. Take care!