Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Post-chemo. meeting

I met with Dr. Ahmann this afternoon. It was a typical post-chemo. course meeting, though this was our last meeting until my next blood test and follow up in December.


the chemotherapy yielded positive results very rapidly, he told me.


as I've written before, all the cancer signs are down (tumor markers in my blood) and last week's CT scan came back with nothing to worry about. He was pleased with my ability to get through chemo. as well as I did (without completely losing my appetite or getting any sicker).


Now that chemotherapy is over and things look good (it's an 85 to 95 percent probability my cancer has been cured), we're looking to the next two years of monitoring with no reocurrences to be able to say we really beat this thing.


After that, there's a one in twenty chance it'll come back. meanwhile, i'll continue getting blood tests and CT scans, though on a less frequent basis.


i asked him about depression, a subject Adrian and I spoke about at length the other night, and he said that is normal and reminded me I just went through a life-changing event. sadness and anger are to be expected, he said, just as if I'd lost a parent or child. I shudder to think...


and I asked when my hair was going to come back. within a few months I'll have enough hair to sport a crew cut (Clarissa had once suggested this) and by four months it should be back to what it used to be. he warned me (echoing words from Adrian and Luis) that he has seen patients with straight hair that went through chemo and ended up with curly hair afterwards, vice versa, and he's also seen people's hair change color after chemo.


imagine me a blonde...


anyway, things are good.


my folks and I are having dinner to celebrate tonight. I plan on going back to work Thursday.

6 comments:

JesseT said...

Congratulation George, We'll keep praying for you.

Jesse

Diana said...

Congratulations George. Take care of yourself and we'll see you in November. Harley can't wait to meet you!

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the good results, George! You're in my prayers.


P.S. I can't imagine you a curly blonde...but that would be a sight to see...

Johnny Hawk said...

Congrats mi tio! You're in my thoughts.

Marcos Cabrera said...

God bless you, man. Stay up.

....J.Michael Robertson said...

Congratulations, George. I like the odds. I'll put a couple dimes on you.