Monday, August 27, 2007

the chemo. weightloss plan

After I decided to undergo chemotherapy, I asked my oncologist, Dr. Ahmann, about my diet: what foods should I be weary off with a compromised immune system, what foods are important and should I be gearing up for weight loss. his response was that moderation is key. Treatment has advanced, he said, to the point that patients should be able to eat as they did before treatment. As for raw vegetables, he noted, all food should be properly cooked. He noted that this year he saw more chemo. patients gain weight than loss.
After six days of treatment, I can understand that. I gained seven pounds the first week. what with all the liquids they were injecting, I suppose that was inevitable. I do remember feeling really bloated at the end of that first week. But between Friday, Aug. 17, and Tuesday, Aug. 21, i lost those seven pounds.
This weekend I put on a pair of jeans for church at the mission. I noticed I had cinched the belt to its last hole: I'm not usually that skinny.
of course I'd like to think the bit of weight loss is also due to the fact I haven't had a beer in more than two weeks (of which, Dr. Ahmann said I could have one beer with dinner during chemo).
but I think the chemo. diet is kicking in.
otherwise, I'm eating well: lots of grains, cooked and steamed vegetables, turkey sandwiches, and plenty of high-protein smoothies. In particular I've consumed a ton of nopales con huevos y frijoles.

4 comments:

Paul Contreras said...

well...Canters, Pinks, or Tommys. Take your pick? I think i hit Tommys and In & out after my zero salt and chemo...

mmmmm....Tommys. You know you want...dude, i can Fed-EX it to you...

the cancer blogs said...

why don't you just come out instead.

Chris Fan said...

Is it tasteless to think it's amazing that you can drink beer while on chemo?

the cancer blogs said...

no way chris. I think that's pretty cool too. my dad doesn't, but that's another conversation. the marvels of modern science...