Sunday, August 26, 2007

La Segunda Semana

Sunday morning coming down, like the old country song, prompts me to reflect on my second week of cancer treatment. I have to say I end the week on a much better note than it began.
A week ago today, I had to leave Lili's Cocina, this wonderful, little restaurant on Tucson's south fourth, without touching the machaca plate on the table. my nerves --legs up to my stomach -- wouldn't allow me to eat. Sunday into Monday I was wicked sick (see the blog post). Monday was better, but I still couldn't sit much because of RLS. The sickness wouldn't allow me to sleep, so i arrived to the cancer center on Tuesday ill-rested. we switched my meds after a discussion with the on-duty doc. and a few nurses and I've felt a lot better since. no more nausea, though the spectre of dizziness is still hanging around. one brownie, letters and visits from friends made it an easy week otherwise. heck, I felt well enough to take my folks to see "Resurrecting the Champ," another movie about a fallen journalist.
I was also strong enough to actually write two letters and read. god, it was good to read. I finished Dos Pasos' "the big Money" as well as a short history of the Tohono O'Odham. Last night I finished the Popul Vuh, the history of the quiche Mayans, written well into the Spanish conquest of their lands which became a never ending occupation. it is a profound book that left me sad with many questions to ask of friends, family and historians.
this morning, after mass at Mission San Xavier, i had breakfast at Las Cazualitas de Tucson.
like I wrote earlier, it's the simple things.
There are some visits on the horizon I'm looking forward too: Adrian, Guadalupe, Julie, Aunt Maria, Gabby, Aunt Pookie, and of course my friends here in town.
On Tuesday, I return to the clinic for blood labs, another round of chemo with bleomycin, and a visit with my oncologist, Dr. Ahmann.

2 comments:

....J.Michael Robertson said...

What did you think of "Resurrecting the Champ"? Should I take the ethics class?

the cancer blogs said...

I would definitely take the kids to see it. I felt like the film let the reporter off the hook. I felt, within the film, there wasn't enough of a real discussion of the consequences of his poor reporting, his inability to do his own research, his fear of dealing with the consequences and how is it a reporter at his level could do what he did without more serious consequences.