Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Imaging me not passing out

So there's a medical term for my aversion to needles: vasovagal reaction.
There's a whole process that begins with decreased heart rate, lowered blood pressure and the possibility of passing out. according to my nurses at the clinic, it's always a problem with young, healthy, and seemingly macho men.
here's a quick link to an article on managing vasovagal reactions: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3689/is_200104/ai_n8936778
Anyway, so before we began yesterday's chemotherapy, the nurses needed to find a new vein for an iv. I told the nurses "I freak out" around needles. at this point, Emily, who is one of my regular nurses, introduced me to this nurse from Oakland who was shadowing her that day. the nurse was nearing her certification in imaging and would use the technique to hopefully overcome my vasovagal reaction.
the nurse asked me to close my eyes, take a few deep breathes, and imagine myself in a calm,familiar and peaceful place.
I pictured myself on the evening of my 24th birthday, at a bar on Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo, with my narco news cohorts.
given hurricane dean, I wonder if that bar is still standing?
At her direction, I recalled the silver swells on the ocean that night, the way the water was black, a mirror of the sky and all the dancing and singing on the eve of what would be my last night of that trip. I recalled my friends Luis, Andrea, Sunny. I remembered Ugo and the way he danced with his bony elbows. she asked me about the breeze, and me with my fantastic imagination, I could nearly feel it along my arms and chest.
all the while Emily was readying my left wrist for an IV that would be used to inject pre-meds and the days dose of bleomycin.
there was some thing that made me realize they were about to inject me -- maybe an increase in a specific command from the nurse or a slight gap in our dialogue. of course i felt the pin prick.
but when I opened my eyes and found my wrist bandaged with IV in place, i was fine. the prick barely hurt on top of that.
as far as I could tell, imaging worked. hell, I didn't go green (which is my normal reaction) and I didn't nearly pass out.

Here's a link to an article on web md of guided imagery.
http://www.webmd.com/balance/tc/Guided-Imagery-Topic-Overview

9 comments:

....J.Michael Robertson said...

What needle? Drinks for the girls at that table over there.

Ann Rose said...

...and for any moment when an Imagery Reframe would do...
1)become aware of worry, fear, or anxious thinking
2)call to mind your image to STOP
3)take a conscious breath and focus on a positive image...
...like the Isla Mujeres...let your chosen image register in your mind, body, and emotions...
Way to Be, George...

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd love to thank you for such a great made forum!
Was thinking this would be a nice way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Edwyn Sammy
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/disney-party-supplies.html]disney Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon friends. I'm really into shoes and I was looking as far as something that singular make. The prices for the shoes are about 170 dollars on every page. But completely I set this location selling them for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi ppl. I'm really into shoes and I have been searching for the sake of that singular make. The prices as regards the sneakers are around 230 bucks on every site. But finally I bring about this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I really love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone,

Just found this site and thought it might be useful to chat to people who are trying to accomplish the same as me!

I spend too much of my life on the internet and look forward to chatting to you all and picking up and sharing ideas along the way!

Eva

Anonymous said...

clomid fertility calculator | buy generic clomid - can i buy clomid over the counter, clomid twins 100mg